Storia Book Editing & Design
Can’t see the forest for the trees?
Most authors are too close to their stories to view them with clarity. That’s why manuscript evaluations are so helpful. An objective reader can spot excesses and omissions that you may be blind to.
Our €300 manuscript evaluations give comprehensive feedback on every aspect of a story. This is a “big picture” analysis of a manuscript’s core elements such as plot, conflict, narrative arc, character development, and consistency.
We offer evaluations of both fiction and nonfiction manuscripts in all genres.
“Ms. Mhyana edited my fiction manuscript. Her work was thorough and she gave very insightful comments, from punctuation and grammar to the overall structure of the book, which greatly helped to improve and refine my writing.”
–M.E. Walsh, Artistic Director, St. Mark’s Cultural Association
In a two to three page report, we offer a detailed analysis of your story’s strengths and weaknesses. Our evaluations address countless factors, but the following is a list of the most common elements we critique in fiction manuscripts:
- Is the plot driven by perpetual conflict? Does anything happen?
- Is there a clear beginning, middle, and end, or does the story meander?
- Are there scenes, and if so, does each contribute to the overall story?
- Does each scene contain its own conflict?
- Are there major gaffes in the storytelling? Inconsistencies?
- Are there scenes that don’t pull their weight?
- Is the middle sagging? Does the ending lack closure or panache?
- Are there holes in the plot that need to be filled?
- Are your characters two-dimensional or predictable?
- Is your characters’ growth steady and believable?
- Does your dialogue sound natural?
- Is there too much info-dumping or exposition?
- Too much telling instead of showing?
- Are your metaphors clichéd?
- Does your timeline make sense (flashbacks, foreshadowing, etc.)?
We address these issues and more, allowing you to make changes as you see fit before sending your story into the world.
Please note that this is not our editing or proofreading service. We will not make note of, or edit, misspellings, grammar, typos, and minor inconsistencies. A manuscript evaluation is just that – an evaluation.
Just as you would take your car to a mechanic for an estimate before you sell it (and not expect the mechanic to make repairs), we take a look at your book and give you an honest appraisal before you revise it and send it in for a comprehensive edit and proofread.